Monday, April 8, 2013

A Little Boy and His Dog

Hola!  Conference, it was so good.  Last conference got me on a mission and now all I want to do is get married and have a family!!! This world needs mothers who have served missions.  I really do believe that.  The choirs... BYU?!  I saw so many friends! I counted over seven.  On Saturday, we went to the stake center and watched conference in English.  There were sooo many missionaries from our two zones there.  Sunday was in Spanish.  We got 4 investigators to come! Three were from the same family! I kept telling Hermana Harding that we need to see these people baptized!!  Also, a nine year old boy that we taught told me he wished I could be his math teacher.  That made my day.  I think people like me! Sometimes, that is easy to forget. 

Yesterday was SUPER windy and dusty! It was crazy! When I and the rest of the sister left our meeting, we all had to hold our skirts down. Also yesterday, I said bye to Ruben and Jesus.  It is a really cool feeling to say goodbye to individuals I have known for a very short time yet I so fervently want them to KNOW how much God loves them.   I just want them to have it all…all the blessings, all the peace, and all the happiness.  I hope one day they will have it.  I really do. 

I have two great missionary stores this week.  First, when I was in the MTC, Rosemary M. Wixom spoke to us.  In her talk, she urged us to remember the children when serving our missions. I was reminded of that when she spoke during conference.  So this weekend, I did just that.  I loved the affect.  Granted... you must be careful when teaching children but I will share this experience.  It was awesome.  My companion and I went back to a house with an IVR referral. We had just seen a car leave the house but knocked on the door anyway.  A seven year old boy answered.  We asked if his mom or dad was home.  He said he would have to go find his dad.  He came back after a while having figured out that his dad must have left.  We said we would come by later.  We went down the street a couple houses where we had a PI.  As I turned around to head back to the sidewalk, there was the little boy with his dog.  His dog was on a chain attached to the boys belt loop buckle by a clip that also held the mail key.  I talked to him about his dog.  He said he was going to go check the mail. We crossed the street to visit another house.  As I turned around this second time, the boy was there waiting with the mail and his dog.  I talked to him again.  I gave him a pass along card with a picture of Jesus and Mary.  I gave him a 15 second lesson about the resurrection, Jesus Christ, and the plan of salvation.  He seemed really interested about it so I asked him what it meant to him.  It was so good to hear this innocent child "feast" on my 15 second lesson.  I said goodbye and told him we would see him later!  I was so happy to have shared that with him.  My companion and I proceeded to the house the prior individuals had identified as a house where the residents spoke Spanish.  When I came out of the home, the little boy was running towards us with his dog, but no mail.  He had apparently left it in his house.  He came and stood by me.  I took the hint that maybe we were friends now.  I really felt prompted to commit him to do something.  He WOULD receive the blessings just as adults do!  So, I gave him another one of the same pass along cards and invited him to go tell a neighbor what he learned.  At this point, I really like my new friend Aaron and Spiky (the dog).   He leaves as we are getting into the car.  I watch him ring the doorbell of his neighbor and wait.  As we drive away, I watch him get down on the ground and shove the pass a long card under the screen door! So funny, but it really touched my heart.  Remember the children!  God loves them so much.  They are so precious to Him.  I hope we get to back and see Aaron, Spiky and his parents tonight.  Aaron is special. 

My second story is about Dee.  We see Dee every day as we run. She is waiting for the bus.  Two days ago I felt prompted to talk to her.  So, I did.  We lost exercise time, but Dee is so cool!  She is so interested in the restoration.  She grew up catholic but doesn’t believe a lot of it. Her questions led me to testify of the Book of Mormon and the restoration of Jesus Christ's church and authority.  It was so cool and it happened because I simply talked to her.  I wasn’t wearing my name tag.  That made our conversation SO different from other conversations I have as a missionary. The difference was not on my part but on hers.  That is the power of member missionaries.  You don’t wear the name tag that sometimes scares people away.  Our message is simple and powerful.  I challenge you all to teach and testify of the restoration and Book of Mormon in 1 minute and use it.  Preach my Gospel can teach you how.  I LOVE working on that part of the work...planting the seeds.  Dee needs to know this gospel.  I hope she is there tomorrow so I can get her information.

I love you all! Happy birthdays to all of you who get my cards! And I will send you my address when I know.

Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment