Tuesday, July 2, 2013

122 Degrees!

It’s crazy! I’ve lived in hot, but I’ve never had that feeling of opening an oven all over your body that never goes away.  It’s the strangest thing ever.  I drink so much water.  I don’t know where it all goes! It’s incredible!

Today is transfer week and guess what?  I’m not leaving! Wohoo!! I am excited.  I get to be here for Adelina's and Alejandra's baptism on Sunday.  It’s almost too good to be true.  The trend has been that baptisms occur after I leave.  It looks like I’m breaking the trend!  I am excited for them.  And… my trio is staying together! This will be the longest I have had a companion and an area! It’s exciting.  Here we go with another round of transfers and exchanges.  I honestly don’t always know how to help the sisters.  But I know God does.  I just get to be the means.

Oh hello!!! I forgot I can tell you of the changes!  There are 3 or 4 test missions in the US now where they have given iPads and iPhones.  Our mission is one.  So, with the announcement on June 23, we are really excited to get our iPads! We can do EVERYTHING from them.  It’s frustrating knowing they are coming and not having them!  The entire gospel library is on them.  The area book is accessible through it.  That means no more binders.  Every person in the area book and ward is geocoded so when you are in an area everyone shows up on the map by location.  The iPhone is the new planner.  Ward mission leaders and President Taylor have access.  They know where we are and what we are doing all the time.  They can even add things to our schedule.  We can use it to show videos, digital pamphlets with clips in them and of course,  Facebook,  Skype and email to teach.  It all gets synced up to Salt Lake every 15 seconds.  You can have a member present on-line while they are all at work! It’s awesome! We are really excited.  Just waiting for our tools now!  It’s going to cut down on so much wasted time.  We are waiting for clearance from Salt Lake to start everything now.

Alright...I've got some good stories to share.  I’ll start from a week ago today.  That would be last Tuesday.  We decided to bike.  I don’t have a bike so I borrowed Hermana Esplin’s bike.  We put Hermana Walkers brand new bike together that morning.  We had exchanges scheduled in the evening so we were going to work really hard to make sure we were back on time for them.  We had a lunch appointment with a less active.  We left the apartment at 12 to bike to this appointment in the southern corner of our area. This ride included biking on the side of a corn field in the dirt, very hard.  Next, we spent our day biking from appointment to appointment in the southern part of our area.  When we arrived for lunch, we are drenched in sweat.  We ate.   For dessert, we are surprised with chocoflan.  It is not my favorite, but okay.  The problem was that I got a sixth of the whole thing on my plate! That is A LOT of chocoflan.  We left and got back on the bikes.  By the way, I have learned to text while riding a bike with no hands! I’ve waited my whole life to be able to do it... who knew that all you needed was a skirt and a name tag and then you could do it?!  Anyway... so we spend our day biking.  It was really hot.  We hit record temperatures last week and yeah, we looked disgusting.  Don’t worry, it gets better. 

I don’t remember everything that happened during the day but I know it involved getting 2 referrals and the English elders bringing us water which I drank so fast I felt sick.  (I learned my lesson from that.)    So, we went to a member’s house.  We put our three bikes literally a yard away from the door and went inside.  We saw there was a party.  We didn’t even take time to pray before leaving.  It was seriously not over 2 minutes.  In 2 minutes, 2 bikes where GONE.  The one I was riding, Hermana Esplin’s was still there but Hermana Baumgartner's and Walker's bikes were gone.  Hermana Walker’s bike was put together that morning! Hermana Baumgartner's was like 500 dollars!  So, two guys from the house sped off looking for who could have them.  The neighbors were not much help so we called the police.  The two guys from the house did not find anyone and the police were taking forever.  The elders came to find us and they started searching.  When we got home, it was 10 pm.  We were not on time for exchanges.  At 10:20, there was a knock at the door.  The Elders had found Hermana Baumgartner's bike!! In a ditch in a park! Creepy! But they found it!  Anyway, I love biking!  Yeah, it was miserably hot! But I loved loved it.  We want to bike more!
We had a little bit of time left before we needed to head back for the exchanges that night.

That was my Tuesday.  The best stuff always happens right after P-Day. I think it’s a security device so that when we write home a week later... the drama is minimized.  Besides that, I got really sick stomach wise this week.  Not sure what happened.  I wished I would have thrown up so many times.  It never happened.  Oh! We got our skirts! So nice to have light skirts to wear! I’m not going to lie, they look really cute! Now we just need some light tops. 

Alright I think that is mostly it.  It was weird to get mom's email about what everyone has been doing this week.  I hope everyone is having fun together!  I can’t imagine Park City in the summer.  Also, Hermana Jenson (she lives with us) goes to Park City every Christmas to the same hotel.  Remember those annoying teenage boys this last year?  Yeah we think they were her cousins... crazy huh?!!!

Hey, this week is the fourth of July!!! Have fun everyone! We have mission leadership counsel all day and then have to be in at 6 so... not sure what I will do. I might go crazy with a whole day not doing missionary work.  Love you guys.

Hermana Pickett


No comments:

Post a Comment