Monday, July 15, 2013

It's a Brother Thing

Did you know a year from today I will be home?! Crazy... huh. 

There are three “bright side” events.  The first Adelina and Alejandra were confirmed yesterday.  Second, we met Martin Perez…finally.  He is a referral we have been hunting down since I arrived in this area.  Third, Sergio is going to be baptized on the 11th of August!  So... things are going pretty fast here.
We had interviews with President on Thursday and for part of that we watched a movie! What?! The 5000 Days Project:  Two Brothers.  I recommend it! (You can view and stream in on BYUTV.org)  It was so cool to watch a movie but amazing how much that movie taught me.  I was a wreck on Thursday with the movie, the interview, everything.  I cried so much.  When we came home, I got an Amber Alert text on our phone and I just started to cry.  It is crazy how when you get a couple hours to focus on yourself on a mission... well that happens.  Good thing I am normally helping others because that was ridiculous.  It did feel good to feel again.

What I really wanted to share from that experience was a quote from the movie that really hit me.  When one brother was serving his mission in Chile, there was an earthquake.  His family did not hear from him for 2 weeks. They asked the younger brother about the missing missionary and he responded that he knew his older brother was okay.  When they asked him how he knew he said, "I don’t know.  I think it’s just a brother thing."  That is what I have learned.  I don’t know or even begin to understand how the atonement works.  I can’t tell you how getting on my knees and praying to God through His name heals all wounds, and brings the comfort I so desperately need when "other sources cease to make me whole".  I don’t know how he can perfectly know what is hard for me and what will hurt me and still be there when it happens to help lift me.  I don’t know how He knows. I guess "it’s just a brother thing."  I testify that it is.  It really is.

The clouds recently have been really cool.   I have included a picture of them.  This picture really does not do their beautify justice. 

The other night we taught a couple about the restoration standing around their truck.  At the end of a very long discussion, the woman proceeded to say (in a raised voice) "Hermanas, les amo pero estan equivocadas.  Nunca voy a leer este libro ni ir a una iglesia creiada por un hombre.  Les prometo en el nombre de Dios que manana cuando estan en mi iglesia alabando a mi Dios recordaran de mi."  (Sisters, I love you but you are wrong.  I will never read this book nor go to a church created by a man.  I promise you in the name of God that when I am worshiping God tomorrow in my church…) I have never had anyone promise me in the name of God that I was wrong.  So, when I went to church yesterday, it was cool to have the thought go through my head, “Was I wrong?  Do I actually know?”  Then, I had a simple calm feeling that it’s all okay.  THAT is what truth feels like.  It wasn’t overpowering, but it was right.  This is the truth.  I really do thank God that I know it.

Well, my eyes are burning.  I am so tired so I’m going to try and get everyone off the computers.  I would love to take a nap.... maybe?  I don’t know we still have a lot left to do.  I hope you are all having a great summer day and remember…when you feel alone and something guides you to your knees.  It’s just a brother thing.

Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment