Monday, September 23, 2013

I Love It!

Well my friends, the church is still true.  I have been studying the apostasy and the restoration a lot recently.  I woke up from a dream last night.  In my dream, I did not believe in prophets and was so confused.  Without prophets, nothing else made sense.  The pattern of the world was all messed up inside my head.  But, all is well.... there is a prophet today.  His name is Thomas S. Monson.  The Priesthood, the Gospel of Jesus Christ in its entirety, the correct concept of our Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ, these have been restored and the Holy Ghost testifies they is correct! It all makes sense! I love it!

In other news, I am not being transferred tomorrow.  Hermana Baumgartner and Woo are leaving me!  It will be fine. 

I’m going to tell you about my week.  We had an awesome Sister's Specialized Training this week.  It was really, really good for all of the sisters in our mission.  We got pedicures! What?  That was crazy.  The lady that gave me mine said her daughter also has syndactyly.  So, as the lady did mine, she hugged my foot and said she felt at home. It was strange but comforting. (Syndactyly is condition wherein there is a congenital malformation of the limbs. It occurs in 1 in 2000 to 3000 live births. The term is derived from the Greek words syn, which means together, and dactyly, which stands for fingers.  It is a failure in which the fingers do not divide in to separate appendages. Separation of the digits normally occurs in the 6th and 8th week of embryologic development.  By and large, syndactyly is idiopathic, i.e. there is no known cause for it. However, in certain cases, there may be a defect in the genes and this could trigger syndactyly. Also, some research data suggests that smoking during pregnancy may result in syndactyly.)

We had a surprise party for Evelyn and Hermana Woo on Thursday.  Sister Taylor came. That made it pretty intense.  I gave Evelyn a birthday princess sash I got for my birthday so she felt really uncomfortable in a good way.

I promise, none of the following is dramatized or made up.   On Friday night I was not feeling too well.   We continued planning that evening but it only got worse.  At last, I can proudly say that I broke an11 year void of throwing up.  I was up from 11:45 on that night.  I was either pacing in our study room or sitting in the bathroom next to the toilet.  I tried sleeping in my bean bag with a massive pot next to me.  It was a very, very long night.  The best part is that our toilet has been broken for a solid week.  To flush it, you have to pour a bucket or pot of water into it.  So, the same pot I used for my emergency toilet I used to fill the toilet back up. Yes!  It had been so long since I had thrown up, I was scared I wouldn’t remember how to do it.  It comes back real easy.  My arms are just as sore as the rest of me from filling up the massive pot with water to flush the toilet.  I did it at least 20 times.


This illness started the long process of staying in (at least for me) for the weekend.  I thought being sick at home was boring because mom would never let us "relax".  On a mission, you can relax but there is nothing to do!  I was in too much pain to stay still.  That meant writing in my journal or reading Jesus the Christ were not really options.  I attempted watching The District.  Because we watch it every day, it wasn’t really very soothing.  It was a long weekend.  Hermana Baumgartner felt sick as well.  We tried to get splits for them to leave the apartment for one of the days.  The first thing I ate was the sacrament on Sunday. Wohoo! Wake up call. 

That evening, we attended a baptism.  I was fine until we had to sing a musical number.  For some reason, breathing was really hard for me.  I had a pain in my chest. So, I was up again all Sunday night pacing our study room.  I could not lie down so I sat on the floor.  I fell asleep sitting on the floor!  I woke up with a jerk as I began to sway too much.
I was doing pretty well on Monday.  Only once did I have to ask the other Sisters to pull over so I could lie down on the side walk in a small neighborhood park.  I would have been fine after that except that dinner just did not understand that I have been sick.  I had not eaten in 3 days and then it was a Mexican meal!  It was a long recovery.  On the bright side, it was a good story to get to write home about this week!

So, that has been my week.  Yesterday was really a great day.  It was full of miracles. I am so grateful for a God takes time to teach me.  Love you all!

Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment