Monday, December 9, 2013

Yikes, It is Almost the Middle of December!


To update on this week, we had lots of meetings but loved them.  I’m figuring that my time as a sister training leader has to be coming to an end so I will soak up all the times I get to be in the mission home and learn from President Taylor.

This week in our zone meeting we learned a lot about vision, goals, plans, tasks, and accountability.  It was cool because it was something I have used grudgingly my whole mission.  For the first time it really made sense.  So EVERYONE pay attention:   this is your Christmas present! You get to hear about "VGPTA" and do it.  It has helped so much in our area.  I have been waiting to find the time to make it work for different aspects of my life.  So, you start with choosing a vision.  For this specific explanation, I will share with you what we came up with to help people we meet as we start to teach them.  Their vision is to return and live with their Heavenly Father.  Their goal then becomes to receive all of the ordinances needed to return (namely baptism).  Then, the plan is for them to become truly converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ.  The tasks that they have to do to do include:  prayer, reading the Book of Mormon, repentance, and church attendance every week.  They must do these tasks of their own choice.  We cannot do it for them.  We come into the plan as we represent the Savior and teach His gospel to allow the plan to be fulfilled as they complete the tasks.  Their goal is then achieved which allows their vision to become reality.  As they focus on their vision the tasks become possible.  It is only the Savior that can be the reason (and the accountability) as to why doing those things results in returning to live with God.  So, my Christmas present to you was to teach you The VGPTA so you can make your own.  I am sure as Jesus Christ suffered in the garden of Gethsemane, His vision was US.  Everything He did was so that we could change, and return to live with our Father in Heaven. 

On another note another focus for this week has been repentance and obedience.  I love both.  I love how Elder Scott said that "repentance is not a punishment" (I am paraphrasing this.)  It is a road that leads to happiness and to who we came here to BECOME.

I got to watch the Christmas Devotional last night with this guy named James.  We "accidentally" found him last week and he came to the devotional! Unfortunately, we get to hand him over to the YSA missionaries.  We say we are struggling finding people to teach but really we are finding machines! We find so many that are prepared! Seriously, we find a lot.  We just never get to teach them because we give them to other missionaries.

But for the record, we did invite Peter, Dad’s friend, James, and John to come listen to a prophets voice.  Speaking of which, Dad, it was amazing to be able to teach with you!  Shoot,  you did all the teaching.  We were just there to make it an official lesson and slap a label on it.  Way to go! It was so good to hear your testimony.  It was a mission experience I will never forget. 

Alright my arms are tired from typing.  Also, if anyone gets bored and wants to send me a math problem to solve in their next letter that would be fun.  It has been a year since I have done anything of the kind! I love you!

Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment