Monday, January 13, 2014

One Year of Service!

Wow!  I honestly didn't think I would make it to this week.  I have been on my mission for 1 year and I'm alive!

Well, it’s super late to get this out today, but on the bright side, it's always bright here in Phoenix.

So, Elder Holland did not come. We got a text the day before that he would not be coming. :(  We still went to a tri-mission conference.  It was nuts.  After the conference, we went to the Phoenix Temple and took a mission picture. I had never been with our whole mission, ever.  It was crazy.  Also, we found out who the new mission president and wife will be.... President and Sister Griffin. You might already know that.  The church announced the new mission presidents on Saturday.   I go home a week and half after President and Sister Taylor.  That's going to be super weird.  It is sad to not have my exit interview with the mission president I know.  Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it.

 I have a cool miracle from Saturday. On Friday, we started an exchange with another companionship.  The two that made up the other half of the exchanges ended up with both phones.  Hence, I and my exchange companion were without a phone starting Friday night.   We, the phoneless companionship were supposed to pick up sisters to carpool to the tri-mission conference in Tempe on Saturday morning.  We left the apartment a little late.  When we arrived at the apartment of the Sisters we were to give the ride to, I realize I had no idea where their apartment was.   Their apartment complex was huge.  Luckily I had been there once before to drop them off.  I tried a door that met the requirements I had in my brain.  No one answered. The severity of the problem hits me.  Without a phone, there was literally no way for me to find out where they lived.   I also knew that I could not go to another missionary apartment and ask because everyone had already left for the tri-mission conference.   I thought, "Wow, this is a really bad situation".  So I prayed.  To be honest, I was scared.  I was scared to ask for a miracle I knew I needed but unsure that I would get it. I prayed and then got back in the car. I drove around and noticed another apartment that met the remembered criteria.  It was the right one!  A miracle!  God does answer prayers.  It was a really cool experience. Faith is a real thing.  It was nice to know that I have at least enough faith to pray for miracles like that.

We are working with and teaching some members from Haiti.  They learned about the church and were baptized while living in Mexico on their journey to the US. The wife speaks some Spanish.  She translates into Creole for her husband and French for her kids. The problem is they don't go to church and when they do, they can't understand anything.  We are working on that. In the meantime, Hermana Palomino speaks some French.  Also, I'm learning.  I mostly just make a fool out of myself.  It it's all good. I have the basics down and most importantly, "I love ice cream."

Hermana Holmes is gone.  Saying good-bye was really hard.  On the other side, I was in paradise for exchanges!  The area I exchanged into is on bikes.  Their ward boundary is 2 square miles.  Of the 500 members, 150 are active!  It didn't even feel like the same mission! We have an area that is at least 22 square miles with 6 active members in our area.  It's a different world.

This week we will hopefully be going to the Gilbert Temple open house.  Yeah!

Also... Jeremy Debry and his family live here now!  What?!  My friends ate dinner at their house last week.  They took a picture to show me!  So cool!  Didn't know he came back to Arizona.

Love ya,
Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment