Monday, February 3, 2014

Best Phone Call Ever!

It's February!   So... happy birthday on Saturday Dad!!!   

It was really weird this last week to not go to our transfer meeting.  It's the first one I have ever missed after being here a year.   I feel like I missed out on all of the excitement!
The good news for the week is that I was doing super well at eating healthy.  Starting Wednesday, I was eating almost just straight up vegetables, fruits and protein.  I was really hungry but appreciated my efforts every night after dinner. Then, Saturday came.  We had to leave early to visit a specific family so I bought Herman Palomino a late birthday present.  It was.... Gluten free pizza!!  So I hate a whole small pizza from Dominos by myself at 1 pm.  We had dinner at 4.   By 5, I was dying.  Going from eating very few carbs to that was a shock for my body.   Oh, speaking of food I had never had arroz con leche on my mission.  Yesterday, I had it three times.  I have now had arroz con leche.

This week I helped a member with her college math in preparation for a test. We talked about math professors, etc. for a couple of minutes.  I realized I miss it! A lot!  We also went to the library this week to use their computers and I realized that I miss that too! I miss school and working. I love the feeling on a Thursday night when you know you only have the best day of the week ahead of you.  You get to make sure you look really cute for that day.

My thought this week is about the gift of tongues.  I'm sure you have all had the question or come across people who know their church is right because they once were present when they or the person next to them stood up and started speaking or yelling in some randomness of a language. I've come across that a lot on my mission. They seem to be less impressed that a bunch of "white people" can speak Spanish.  The other day we were with the Sanon family and this went through my mind. This family is from Haiti.  They speak French. They lived in Mexico for three months and then came to the US. While in Mexico, the mom listened to the missionaries.  She could understand them  speaking Spanish because she had learned the basics in school.  She understands the language and can get her point across using it.  She would translate what the missionaries in Mexico told her to her two boys and husband in French and Creole.  They were all baptized.  Currently, they come to our Spanish ward because she understands a little Spanish.  No one in the house speaks English.

We have taught them a couple of times.  This week as I sat there, all I could think about is what a miracle it is that my companion can speak amazing French.  She can teach them and I can understand what is going on!  I have never ever even listened to a conversation in French before.  Because my companion is new, I will speak to her in Spanish and then she translates that into French for the family.  Everything about it is "edifying".  Satan is so good at confusing us with the flashing red, but it's the simplicity of feeling the Spirit that the truth is found. I am so grateful for the experiences to be an instrument in God’s hands as he blessed me with the gifts so I could do what I need to do.

Well I am proud to say that I have officially missed my last football game!  Wohoo!  I can be a part of the next football season!  

Oh, we got the best phone call ever this morning! Our ward mission leader called us to tell us Ruben, our investigator, wants to quit smoking and drinking! This is huge!  Those habits were stopping him from getting baptized.  He wants to stop now.  We have had a couple of really intense lessons with him as well as a lot of thought, practice, and prayer.  I am soooooo happy!  He hasn't told us yet but we made him a "quit smoking box".  We are going to give it to him tonight.   Pray for him!   Love ya!

Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment