Monday, February 17, 2014

Take the Challenge!


On Valentine’s, we had stopped by the church to get our car.  The Elders Quorum President and High Priest Group Leader were frantically trying to get the food ready for the ward dance that night. So, I sliced chilies for like an hour and half, no joke!  We left as people were just starting to get there.  When I got home, I went into the kitchen to throw something in the garbage and Hermana Holmes turned around to look at me! What?!?!  It seems she finished her mission just a few weeks ago.  I was super happy to see her.  It was so weird.  She was dressed in jeans!  She had her own phone!  She was not wearing a name tag!  It was awesome. She came to church with us on Sunday. It was really good to see her, super weird but good.

Zone conference this week was good. I feel so uninformed on anything now that I am no at every meeting. It's so nice, however, not be gone all the time on exchanges. There are good and bad things to everything.  I have an update on our move.  We should be moving the first weekend in March, right before transfers.

I believe most of you are studying about Noah right now in your Sunday school class.  We are also. We also talked about the Holy Ghost.  In that lesson, a light bulb went off and I realized that one of the Holy Ghost’s first roles was in comforting Adam and Eve as they were "kicked out" of the Garden of Eden. I can only imagine how hard that would have been for them to leave and yet how happy they were to feel something so familiar in a world of everything new and not familiar.  The Holy Ghost is such a huge blessing.  Sometimes, his prompting can be hard to recognize and sometimes it is hard to have the courage to follow, but it's worth it.  He will always guide us to that same feeling: familiar, comforted, loved, guided, complete, joy.  Could it be any clearer what Heaven will feel like than when we feel his influence? 

At zone conference, we talked about the doctrine of the Godhead in comparison to what we know about the doctrine of the Trinity. I honestly cannot understand the Trinity. It's so confusing.  God is my father.  Jesus is my brother and redeemer.  The Holy Ghost is my companion if I live worthy.

So our mission was given a challenge in January to re-read the Book of Mormon in 3 months focusing and noting the doctrine of Christ. Since that is what I had just finished doing for the first half of my mission I changed it.  I’m focusing on the atonement and highlighting the words that help me understand it.  Sadly, I'm super behind. Three months is fast!   I'm learning a lot in looking for descriptions of not only the cleansing but also the enabling power of the Atonement.  Please feel free to join all 250 Arizona Phoenix missionaries if you feel so inclined. It's intense.  If you can do if by the end of March I will be solely impressed! I think I've given up on finishing on time even using my language study time!

This week has been super hard. I had a break down yesterday and had to give myself a time out.  I was so frustrated and discouraged about everything here. Today is much better. This to me is a testimony of the Atonement. Honestly, I don't know how I got out last night to work. I was so down about it. We do not have any investigators.  Well, we have one.  She wants to be baptized so badly. We found her this week.  She really wants the Holy Ghost. She is so solid.  She just doesn't speak Spanish! :)  Member miscommunications, lack of communication on top of everything else has led to some discouragement. I know everything will be okay. I don't know how or when.  It will be okay because it is His work. And.. it's kind of a big deal.

Well, I have a ton I have to get done today including making more handkerchiefs.  I am making them for the temple dedication for my friends in Estrella. I love sewing.  Thank you for teaching me how!  It is a super good skill to have. I believe a lot of teaching me was just encouraging me out of laziness with patience.  Thank you.

Love you all,

Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment