Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pressing Forward

Wohoo!!   Hermana Welch and I are staying in Solano!  No one was transferred.  As we waited for the transfer text this morning, we went to downtown Glendale and walked around in the antique stores. We also had really good food at a super nice pizza place there.  Hermana Welch’s mom had sent me a gift certificate for me birthday.  We used only part of it so we decided to go there again next transfer!  The restaurant is closed on Mondays and it is not located in our area.  Luckily it is in our zone which means we can visit on a p-day.

Last Wednesday, the daughter of the Alarcons stopped breathing.  This is the family that was baptized a week ago last Saturday.  The girl was taken by a life flights to Phoenix Children's Hospital.   She is home now but that family is going through some trials. They are amazing and have so much faith. I learn from them every day and I love them so much!

This week we had been speaking to a man outside his home. Once we got back in the car Hermana Welch grabbed something off my face as she said, "Don't freak out, you just have a bug on your face." I'm driving at this point and I forced her to tell me what kind of bug.  It was one of those small cockroaches. Yep, I screamed. It was disgusting.

This week showed me how a person’s desire for truth and acts of faith (despite some not so good experiences) can keep them pressing forward.  We have been teaching Martin. He is 26.  What is cool about Martin is that he knows the Bible so well and he isn't closed off or defensive about it! We taught him the lesson on the restoration with another returned missionary on Sunday.  I won't go into details, but it was not done well. Luckily, he let us come back.  Hermana Welch and I retaught it. This time the Spirit was there.  He said he would read the Book of Mormon even though he was not convinced about prophets or the Book of Mormon.   He also agreed to go to stake conference on Sunday.  Although the Spirit in the conference was wonderful, the Spanish translation was horrible.  Still, Martin is letting us come back! It is a miracle.  Everything just fell apart but he is still open!  I am so grateful for that. :)

Let me explain why the Spanish translation at stake conference was so bad.  With all of my focus, I could not follow what was being said.   The translators were laughing inappropriately.  It tore me up that those who required a Spanish translation had such a horrible experience while those who understood English felt the Spirit so strong.  I feel a responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen again. Not sure how to go about that.  It's not important that the translators are reprimanded.  It is important that is not happen again!  It was sad.

We had an awesome district meeting! Our district leader and his companion made a huge maze with chairs and tables in the gym.  The objectives was to have one missionary direct his companion through it.  The person directing was playing the role of the Spirit.  The other player symbolized us as we walk through the maze of life.  My role was to make as much noise as possible.  I had a lot of fun.:)  By the way, I finished the four gospels so I started the Book of Mormon again. This time I am reading it focusing on specific things I got out of conference. I'm super excited.  I'm loving it.  

Oh, it is getting warm here.  We are biking a lot. We end up looking like a mess but it’s fun.

Hope all is well... Love you all!

Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment