Monday, May 19, 2014

The Bridge Builder

I’m going to try and make this email super informative and super-fast.  We are going bowling as a zone but I have so much to do this morning.  I hope you all are doing great!

Nothing happened this week.  Literally!  Almost every single lesson fell through either because of the investigator or the member.  Everyone was out of town or just fell off the planet for church on Sunday.  Even the Alarcon’s temple trip fell through.  Thank goodness it was rescheduled for this Saturday.  This is week six of them being baptized. We want to get them to the temple in the first 6 weeks.  It’s been a pretty weird week, especially after the week we had just had!  On the bright side, I have learned again that God is in control!  No matter how much or how little I do, He is just in control. :)  It is kind of a good feeling.  I just have to give it my all and do my best.

Well, I could honestly end my email there and say that wraps up last week.  Instead, I will take up some more room to summarize some of what I have learned while serving my mission.  
  • God is a glorified man.  It is so hard to pray to "something" unseen.  When I understand that I am praying to a man that has gone through life and understands me perfectly, it becomes a lot more natural to talk with Him.
  • Mighty prayer is a Spirit guided prayer.  My best prayers are not made when they are long, wordy or even the deepest most powerful spiritual experiences.  Rather, my most powerful prayers are sincere, guided, communication involving all members of the Godhead.
  • I have a sticky note pad where I take notes during my evening prayer.  Sometimes I write down things I need to remember or do.  Sometimes I will jotting down things I need to write about in my journal.  A lot of times, however, I am noting subtle answers that come and that I will forget about when I wake up in the morning.  Making these notes has changed my prayers significantly.  Once these pieces of inspiration are noted on paper, I can move on to other concerns in my prayer.
  • Have gratitude, for blessings and also for trials!   I love expressing gratitude for Him.  I can assume that we all want validation every now and then.  It strengthens my testimony of God and my relationship with Him as I validate it in prayer.
 These are some things that have helped me to understand prayer better and use it more effectively as a way to communicate with a LOVING Heavenly Father.

I also found this poem this week and I love it.  Please read it and think of Jesus Christ as "The Master Bridge Builder."

The Bridge Builder

An old man going a lone highway,
Came, at the evening cold and gray,
To a chasm vast and deep and wide.
Through which was flowing a sullen tide
The old man crossed in the twilight dim,
The sullen stream had no fear for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

“Old man,” said a fellow pilgrim near,
“You are wasting your strength with building here;
Your journey will end with the ending day,
You never again will pass this way;
You’ve crossed the chasm, deep and wide,
Why build this bridge at evening tide?”

The builder lifted his old gray head;
“Good friend, in the path I have come,” he said,
“There followed after me to-day
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This chasm that has been as naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be;
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him!”

I hope you love this poem as much as I did.  What bridges has He built for you?  Because of Christ, what bridges are you building for others?

I hope you all have a great week!  Love you!

Hermana Pickett

No comments:

Post a Comment